
Final, non-negotiable: Taliban forcing female TV anchors to cover faces on air
India Today
The Taliban has begun enforcing the order requiring all female TV news anchors in Afghanistan to cover their faces while on-air.
Afghanistan's Taliban rulers on Sunday began enforcing an order requiring all female TV news anchors in the country to cover their faces while on-air. The move is part of a hard-line shift drawing condemnation from rights activists.
After the order was announced Thursday, only a handful of news outlets complied with the order. But on Sunday, most female anchors were seen with their faces covered after the Taliban's vice and virtue ministry began enforcing the order.
The Information and Culture Ministry previously announced that the policy was “final and non-negotiable.”
“It is just an outside culture, imposed on us, forcing us to wear a mask and that can create a problem for us while presenting our programs,” said Sonia Niazi, a TV anchor with TOLOnews.
A local media official confirmed his station had received the order last week but on Sunday it was forced to implement the order and hewas told it was not up for discussion. He spoke on condition he and his station remain anonymous for fear of retribution from Taliban authorities.
ALSO READ | Afghanistan’s Taliban order women to cover up head to toe
During the Taliban's last time in power in Afghanistan from 1996-2001, they imposed overwhelming restrictions on women, requiring them to wear the all-encompassing burqa and barring them from public life. and education.

Women are treated in the new penal code as being on the same level as "slaves", with provisions allowing either "slave masters" or husbands to administer discretionary punishment, including beatings, to their wives or subordinates. This aspect of the code has drawn particular alarm from rights groups.

Andrew Windsor Mountbatten, who was stripped of his prince title over his links with convicted paedophile Jeffrey Epstein, was arrested in the UK on Thursday. Andrew is the grand-nephew of Lord Mountbatten, the last British viceroy in India. Lord Mountbatten was accused of being involved in a child sex ring, involving an orphanage in Belfast. Here's what we know about the Kincora Boys' Home scandal.











