U.S. DHS to pause two key travel programmes amid shutdown, report says
The Hindu
DHS pauses PreCheck and Global Entry programs due to a shutdown, impacting expedited airport security for travelers.
The U.S. Department of Homeland Security will temporarily suspend from Sunday (February 22, 2026) its PreCheck and Global Entry programs that speed airport security checks for some travellers, the Washington Post said, due to a shutdown at much of the agency.
The halt in the programs run by the DHS will begin from 6 a.m. ET (1100 GMT), the newspaper cited an agency spokesperson as saying on Saturday (February 21, 2026).
DHS began a partial shutdown last week after Republicans and Democrats failed to reach a deal on immigration enforcement reforms.
The pause in programs is among the emergency measures DHS isstaking to redirect staffing more than a week after Congress failed to send it more money, the paper said.
The agency is “making tough but necessary workforce and resource decisions” and prioritising the “general traveling population” at entry points, the paper cited Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem as saying in a statement.
Reuters could not immediately verify the report. The DHS did not immediately respond to a request for comment. TSA’s PreCheck program allows approved passengers through a dedicated, faster security lane at U.S. airports and is designed to reduce wait times and streamline screening.













