
Australia bans citizen with alleged links to IS group from returning from Syria
ABC News
Australia’s government has banned an Australian with alleged ties to the militant Islamic State group from returning from a detention camp in Syria
MELBOURNE, Australia -- Australia’s government on Wednesday banned an Australian citizen with alleged ties to the militant Islamic State group from returning from a detention camp in Syria.
The Australian is among a group of 34 women and children who had planned to fly from Damascus to Australia on Monday but were turned back by Syrian authorities to the Roj detention camp due to procedural problems.
Former Islamic State fighters from multiple countries, their wives and children have been detained in camps since the militant group lost control of its territory in Syria in 2019. Though defeated, the group still has sleeper cells that carry out deadly attacks in both countries.
Home Affairs Minister Tony Burke said one of the group had been assessed by Australian security agencies as meeting a risk threshold to be banned from entering the country, despite being a citizen. He did not identify that individual or say how long the ban would last.
“I can confirm that one individual in this cohort has been issued a temporary exclusion order, which was made on advice from security agencies,” Burke said in a statement.













