Primary Country (Mandatory)

Other Country (Optional)

Set News Language for United States

Primary Language (Mandatory)
Other Language[s] (Optional)
No other language available

Set News Language for World

Primary Language (Mandatory)
Other Language(s) (Optional)

Set News Source for United States

Primary Source (Mandatory)
Other Source[s] (Optional)

Set News Source for World

Primary Source (Mandatory)
Other Source(s) (Optional)
  • Countries
    • India
    • United States
    • Qatar
    • Germany
    • China
    • Canada
    • World
  • Categories
    • National
    • International
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Sports
    • Special
    • All Categories
  • Available Languages for United States
    • English
  • All Languages
    • English
    • Hindi
    • Arabic
    • German
    • Chinese
    • French
  • Sources
    • India
      • AajTak
      • NDTV India
      • The Hindu
      • India Today
      • Zee News
      • NDTV
      • BBC
      • The Wire
      • News18
      • News 24
      • The Quint
      • ABP News
      • Zee News
      • News 24
    • United States
      • CNN
      • Fox News
      • Al Jazeera
      • CBSN
      • NY Post
      • Voice of America
      • The New York Times
      • HuffPost
      • ABC News
      • Newsy
      • USA TODAY
      • NBC News
      • CNBC
    • Qatar
      • Al Jazeera
      • Al Arab
      • The Peninsula
      • Gulf Times
      • Al Sharq
      • Qatar Tribune
      • Al Raya
      • Lusail
    • Germany
      • DW
      • ZDF
      • ProSieben
      • RTL
      • n-tv
      • Die Welt
      • Süddeutsche Zeitung
      • Frankfurter Rundschau
    • China
      • China Daily
      • BBC
      • The New York Times
      • Voice of America
      • Beijing Daily
      • The Epoch Times
      • Ta Kung Pao
      • Xinmin Evening News
    • Canada
      • CBC
      • Radio-Canada
      • CTV
      • TVA Nouvelles
      • Le Journal de Montréal
      • Global News
      • BNN Bloomberg
      • Métro
White House official confirms Yemen strike plans were mistakenly texted to journalist

White House official confirms Yemen strike plans were mistakenly texted to journalist

CBC
Tuesday, March 25, 2025 07:18:15 AM UTC

Top national security officials for U.S. President Donald Trump, including his defence secretary and vice-president, texted about war plans for upcoming military strikes in Yemen to a group chat in a secure messaging app that included the editor-in-chief for The Atlantic, the magazine reported in a story posted online Monday.

Brian Hughes, a U.S. National Security Council spokesperson, said the text chain "appears to be authentic and we are reviewing how an inadvertent number was added to the chain." 

Trump initially told reporters he was not aware that the sensitive information had been shared, two and a half hours after it was reported. He later appeared to joke about the breach.

The material in the text chain between Signal accounts that appear to belong to top Trump officials, including U.S. Secretary of Defence Pete Hegseth and U.S. Vice-President J.D. Vance, "contained operational details of forthcoming strikes on Iran-backed Houthi-rebels in Yemen, including information about targets, weapons the U.S. would be deploying, and attack sequencing," editor-in-chief Jeffrey Goldberg reported.

It was not immediately clear if the specifics of the military operation were classified, but they often are and at the least are kept secure to protect service members and operational security. The U.S. has conducted airstrikes against the Houthis since the militant group began targeting commercial and military vessels in the Red Sea in November 2023.

Just two hours after Goldberg said he received the details of the attack on March 15, the U.S. began launching a series of airstrikes against Houthi targets in Yemen.

Goldberg said he received the Signal invitation from Mike Waltz, Trump's national security adviser, who was also in the group chat.

Hegseth in his first comments on the matter attacked Goldberg as "deceitful" and a "discredited so-called journalist" while alluding to previous critical reporting of Trump from the publication. He did not shed light on why Signal was being used to discuss the sensitive operation or how Goldberg ended up on the message chain.

"Nobody was texting war plans and that's all I have to say about that," Hegseth said in an exchange with reporters after landing in Hawaii on Monday as he began his first trip to the Indo-Pacific as defence secretary.

Goldberg responded to Hegseth's denial in an interview on CNN late on Monday by saying, "No, that's a lie. He was texting war plans."

In a statement late Monday, White House spokesperson Karoline Leavitt said the president still has the "utmost confidence" in Waltz and the national security team.

Earlier Monday, Trump told reporters, "I don't know anything about it. You're telling me about it for the first time." He added that The Atlantic was "not much of a magazine."

By early evening, the president jokingly brushed it aside. He amplified a social media posting from Elon Musk spotlighting a conservative satirical news site article with the cutting headline: "4D Chess: Trump Leaks War Plans to 'The Atlantic' Where No One Will Ever See Them."

Government officials have used Signal for organizational correspondence, but it is not classified and can be hacked. Privacy and tech experts say the popular end-to-end encrypted messaging and voice call app is more secure than conventional texting.

Read full story on CBC
Share this story on:-
More Related News
In Cuba, people go without food and power as U.S. chokes oil supply and tourists flee

Some Cubans say everyday life on the Caribbean island has reached a breaking point amid a fuel shortage brought about by the U.S. squeezing the country’s oil supply. Meanwhile, Canadian airlines suspended service to the island and are ferrying tourists back home.

Buckingham Palace prepared to 'support' any police investigation into Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor

Buckingham Palace said on Monday it is ready to support any police investigation into King Charles's younger brother after emails suggested Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor might have shared confidential British trade documents with Jeffrey Epstein.

Grief grows as bodies of kidnapped workers of Canadian mining company identified in Mexico

Jaime Castañeda said he identified the body of his 43-year-old geologist brother on Sunday by viewing photographs presented to him by officials at the federal attorney general's local headquarters in the coastal Mexican city of Mazatlán, in the northwestern state of Sinaloa.

As more Epstein files emerge, the story around former prince Andrew 'isn't going away'

The eviction of the former prince now known as Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor from the 30-room mansion he had leased near Windsor Castle came to fruition early this past week.

Why Spain is aiming to regularize half a million undocumented migrants

While the United States has intensified its immigration crackdown and deportation efforts  and European countries are closing their borders one after the other, Spain continues to act as an outlier.

Satellite images may reveal Iran trying to recover material from bombed nuclear sites

Satellite images showing recent activity around two Iranian nuclear sites bombed last year by Israel and the U.S. suggest Iran may be trying to recover materials from the area.

TikTok creators flock to UpScrolled app after U.S. takeover. Here's why

Thousands of creators are deleting TikTok and flocking elsewhere just days after a change in ownership and mounting claims of widespread censorship and shadowbanning, or reduced reach, on the app.

Body found in Mexico appears to be 1 of 10 kidnapped employees of Canadian mining company, authorities say

Mexican authorities said Friday that federal forces had found what appeared to be the body of one of 10 employees of a Canadian mining company who were kidnapped three weeks ago from a city in the Mexican state of Sinaloa.

U.S.-Russia nuclear weapons treaty has expired. What happens now?

The treaty between the U.S. and Russia limiting their deployment of strategic nuclear weapons has expired, leaving plenty of questions about what U.S. President Donald Trump and Russian President Vladimir Putin intend to do next.

Newly released Epstein email appears to confirm photo of Virginia Giuffre, former prince Andrew

Ten months after Virginia Giuffre's death by suicide, a newly released email appears to support her assertion that she met and posed for a photograph with Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor. 

Why the Epstein files haven't resulted in more charges

Only Jefferey Epstein and his longtime confidant and girlfriend Ghislaine Maxwell have ever been prosecuted in the U.S. in connection with the sexual abuse of underage girls. However, the recent release of millions of documents related to the Epstein files has raised questions about why no one else has been charged.

How the Epstein files unravelled a senior British politician's career — and now threaten PM Starmer's job

When it comes to British diplomatic political appointments, Washington has always been a key post, keeping the so-called special relationship running smoothly between the two countries, no matter which U.S. president is in office.

Fears mount that Trump administration could meddle in U.S. elections

Concern is mounting among political observers and critics of U.S. President Donald Trump that his administration is laying the groundwork to meddle in crucial midterm elections that will determine which party controls Congress.

After former prince Andrew's arrest, the Royal Family tries to keep calm and carry on

The scandal surrounding Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor was already seen by some as the first real royal crisis his elder brother, King Charles, has faced in these opening years of his reign.

8 skiers found dead, 1 still missing in deadliest avalanche in Northern California in decades

Eight backcountry skiers have been found dead and one remains missing and presumed dead after an avalanche near Lake Tahoe in California, officials said Wednesday, making it the deadliest avalanche in the U.S. in more than four decades.

No sign of a breakthrough in Russia-Ukraine talks as latest round ends in Geneva

The latest U.S.-brokered talks between envoys from Moscow and Kyiv over Russia's all-out invasion of Ukraine ended Wednesday with no sign of a breakthrough and with both sides saying the talks were "difficult," as the war's fourth anniversary approaches next week.

Iran says progress made in nuclear talks with U.S. after partial closure of Strait of Hormuz

Iran and the United States reached an understanding on Tuesday on main "guiding principles" in talks aimed at resolving their longstanding nuclear dispute, but that does not mean a deal is imminent, Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Aragchi said.

Russia, Ukraine exchange damaging volleys ahead of trilateral talks with U.S.

Russian forces pounded Ukrainian power infrastructure before a new round of ‌peace talks, killing three energy workers and leaving tens of thousands of people without power and heat, officials said Tuesday.

Savannah Guthrie and family not suspects in mother's disappearance: sheriff

Nancy Guthrie's family has been cleared as possible suspects in her abduction, Pima County ‌Sheriff Chris Nanos said on Monday, as the case involving the mother of Today show co-anchor Savannah Guthrie entered its third week.

Gisèle Pelicot has been called a lot of things: Victim. Survivor. Icon. She calls herself 'an optimist’

WARNING: This article includes details of intimate partner violence and sexual assault

From umbrella to uncertainty: Europe and Canada's nuclear deterrence anxiety

Normally, it's considered a good thing when the world beats a path to your door.

Trump says regime change 'seems' to be 'best thing that could happen' for Iran

U.S. President Donald Trump on Friday signalled support for regime change in Iran and declared that "tremendous power" will soon be in the Middle East, as the Pentagon sent a second aircraft carrier to the region.

A Ukrainian athlete was banned for his helmet. How does the IOC enforce its rules on political statements?

The Olympics have long been a platform for political posturing, with countries boycotting or being banned over geopolitical conflicts. 

As tensions simmer between U.S. and Iran, Iraq is feeling the heat

Of the many proxy battlegrounds between Iran and the United States in the Middle East, Iraq is one of the most overlooked, at least outside the region. 

Gen Z toppled Bangladesh's autocratic regime. Will it decide the next government?

As he prepared to leave Bangladesh's capital, Dhaka, to return to his hometown to vote, Mohammad Ali couldn't quite believe he was participating in a historic election. 

© 2008 - 2026 Webjosh  |  News Archive  |  Privacy Policy  |  Contact Us