
In Cuba, people go without food and power as U.S. chokes oil supply and tourists flee
CBC
Some Cubans say everyday life on the Caribbean island has reached a breaking point amid a fuel shortage brought about by the U.S. squeezing the country’s oil supply. Meanwhile, Canadian airlines suspended service to the island and are ferrying tourists back home.
"For me, any change for us will be better than what we are living through, because what we are experiencing is not humane," Isben Peralta told CBC News in a phone interview during a blackout.
"Some of us who have a little business have a bit to eat, but many, many, many people do not have it. It’s very, very bad."
Peralta lives in Ciego De Avila, in central Cuba, where he operates a small pizzeria out of his home. He says he's lucky — he still gets power a few hours per day, but says that's only because he lives near a location where fuel is delivered.
Sometimes, he can even get a three hour stretch where he has electricity. In other areas in his province, Peralta says people will go 10 or 11 hours without power, followed by 30 minutes at most with the power back on.
"We have a bit more power … and then they take it away for five hours straight before putting it on again for another little while."
On Sunday, in an official notice called a NOTAM posted to the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) website Sunday, Havana's José Martí International Airport warned it was nearly out of jet fuel. By Monday, Canada's major airlines suspended flights.
Cuba has historically relied on Venezuela to provide most of its oil, but it has not received any crude or refined products from its top ally since mid-December, when the U.S. seized its president, Nicolás Maduro, attacked the capital last month and moved to block the South American country's exports.
U.S. President Donald Trump has since vowed that Cuba would receive no more oil from Venezuela and signed an executive order on Jan. 29, placing sanctions on countries that sell it fuel. This effectively cut off Cuba's supply of aviation gas and fuel for its electrical grid, which is in such a state of disrepair that power cuts were standard for many Cubans even before the oil blockade.
Mark Entwistle, a former Canadian ambassador to Cuba, says the Trump administration is trying to inflict pain and throttle the country's economy to the point that the regime collapses.
Cuba has faced shortages of food and medicine for some time, Entwistle says, and has long experienced a "challenging" energy situation.
While some of these issues have their roots in the COVID-19 pandemic when Cuba shut down its tourism sector, he told CBC News Network that the humanitarian situation is real and "will get steadily worse" because it is being exacerbated by U.S. actions.
Entwistle says there may soon come a time when Canada needs to step in and send significant humanitarian aid despite the tariff threats, and hopefully the U.S. won't be too "ferocious" about it.
"I don't believe even the Trump administration could try to block humanitarian assistance to children who are hungry."

Only Jefferey Epstein and his longtime confidant and girlfriend Ghislaine Maxwell have ever been prosecuted in the U.S. in connection with the sexual abuse of underage girls. However, the recent release of millions of documents related to the Epstein files has raised questions about why no one else has been charged.












