A Tesla Model S spontaneously burst into flames after sitting in a California junkyard for three weeks. Firefighters had to use 4,500 gallons of water to put the fire out earlier this month.
"The vehicle was fully involved with fire on arrival, and took a significant amount of time, water, and thinking outside the box to extinguish," the department said, noting it was Metro fire’s first Tesla fire.
"Crews knocked the fire down, but the car kept re-igniting and off-gassing in the battery compartment. Working with the on-site wrecking yard personnel, the Tesla was moved on its side to gain access to the battery compartment underneath."