Primary Country (Mandatory)

Other Country (Optional)

Set News Language for United States

Primary Language (Mandatory)
Other Language[s] (Optional)
No other language available

Set News Language for World

Primary Language (Mandatory)
Other Language(s) (Optional)

Set News Source for United States

Primary Source (Mandatory)
Other Source[s] (Optional)

Set News Source for World

Primary Source (Mandatory)
Other Source(s) (Optional)
  • Countries
    • India
    • United States
    • Qatar
    • Germany
    • China
    • Canada
    • World
  • Categories
    • National
    • International
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Sports
    • Special
    • All Categories
  • Available Languages for United States
    • English
  • All Languages
    • English
    • Hindi
    • Arabic
    • German
    • Chinese
    • French
  • Sources
    • India
      • AajTak
      • NDTV India
      • The Hindu
      • India Today
      • Zee News
      • NDTV
      • BBC
      • The Wire
      • News18
      • News 24
      • The Quint
      • ABP News
      • Zee News
      • News 24
    • United States
      • CNN
      • Fox News
      • Al Jazeera
      • CBSN
      • NY Post
      • Voice of America
      • The New York Times
      • HuffPost
      • ABC News
      • Newsy
      • USA TODAY
    • Qatar
      • Al Jazeera
      • Al Arab
      • The Peninsula
      • Gulf Times
      • Al Sharq
      • Qatar Tribune
      • Al Raya
      • Lusail
    • Germany
      • DW
      • ZDF
      • ProSieben
      • RTL
      • n-tv
      • Die Welt
      • Süddeutsche Zeitung
      • Frankfurter Rundschau
    • China
      • China Daily
      • BBC
      • The New York Times
      • Voice of America
      • Beijing Daily
      • The Epoch Times
      • Ta Kung Pao
      • Xinmin Evening News
    • Canada
      • CBC
      • Radio-Canada
      • CTV
      • TVA Nouvelles
      • Le Journal de Montréal
      • Global News
      • BNN Bloomberg
      • Métro
Settlement ends lawsuits against Ontario camp, former director

Settlement ends lawsuits against Ontario camp, former director

CBC
Friday, December 13, 2024 05:12:28 PM UTC

Two lawsuits that alleged the former director of an Ontario boys' camp had sexually assaulted a former camper and former staff member have ended in a settlement out of court.

The lawsuits against Kilcoo Camp and longtime director David Latimer were filed last year on behalf of plaintiffs identified as J. Doe #1 and J. Doe #2. The lawsuits accused Latimer of grooming, manipulation and sexual misconduct against a preteen student camper in the early 1990s and a young adult staff member beginning in the 2000s.

The claims were "resolved by mutual agreement of the parties," the plaintiffs' lawyer Gillian Hnatiw said in an email Friday.

"My clients are pleased to have things resolved. At the moment, they have no further comment," she said.

A statement posted to Kilcoo Camp's website Thursday said, "The Camp and all involved have learned from, and are grateful for, the frank and positive discussions that have led to this outcome."

Latimer's lawyer Scott Hutchison said in an email Friday that he and his client had no comment on the settlement beyond what's included in the statement. In statements of defence filed last year, Latimer denied all sexual misconduct allegations included in the lawsuits.

The camp statement noted that Latimer has retired as director and will not be involved with the camp in the future.

The camp has created a "Sexual Harassment and Abuse Policy and Anti-Bullying policy which will evolve to respond to camp management best practices," the statement says.

No details of the settlement have been released.

None of the allegations contained in the lawsuits have been tested in court.

Kilcoo Camp, located near Minden, Ont., primarily operates a private summer camp for boys between the ages of 8 and 16. It also offers programs for students throughout the year.

Latimer became director of Camp Kilcoo in 1985, according to the camp website, before stepping down last year.

Read full story on CBC
Share this story on:-
More Related News
1 teen released, 1 still in custody in Saskatoon case of alleged online 'violent extremism'

One of the two Saskatoon teens charged after a national security investigation into alleged online violent extremism has been released from custody, while the second is still waiting for a bail decision.

Former B.C. school trustee ordered to pay $750K for hate speech, discrimination: human rights tribunal

The B.C. Human Rights Tribunal has ordered former Chilliwack school trustee Barry Neufeld to pay $750,000 for violating the Human Rights Code by publishing hate speech and discriminatory content against 2SLGBTQ+ people.

York police Chief Jim MacSween to retire in June, police service board says

York Regional Police Chief Jim MacSween will retire in June, the board that oversees the service announced on Thursday.

Cabinet minister's proposed licence exemption 'troubling,' says P.E.I. Fishermen's Association

The P.E.I. Fisherman’s Association is pushing back against the provincial government’s attempts to grant a sitting cabinet minister the ability to maintain his lobster fleet.

Alberta Premier Danielle Smith announces fall referendum on immigration, constitutional questions

Premier Danielle Smith wants to hold a referendum in October on measures to limit immigration to Alberta and changes she believes would give the province more rights under the Constitution.

Toronto community leader Dr. Joseph Wong receives key to the city for 'lifetime of service'

Mayor Olivia Chow gave a key to the city on Thursday to a Toronto doctor, community leader and long-time seniors' advocate.

Territory's rent to be capped for final time this year, says Yukon Party

Yukon's government has set the rent cap — for the last time. 

New Democrats vying for party's top job square off in final leadership debate

Five NDP leadership candidates are set to take the stage in what will be the final debate before members decide who will land the party's top job.

Lab services on the move again, this time to Primary Care Alberta

Alberta's lab services are facing yet another move as the provincial government forges ahead with its health system restructuring process.

4 extortion investigations launched in Vancouver — the first in the city

B.C.’s most populous city is now part of a growing trend of crime where perpetrators threaten residents and businesses with violence in exchange for money.

Stratford looks to revive business group to support owners in the growing town

As Stratford continues to grow, some say it's time for the P.E.I. town to revive a group that supports local business owners. 

New online portal lets families search assisted living vacancies in Alberta

The Alberta government launched a new online portal for families to see vacant assisted living spots in their community, something Premier Danielle Smith compared to websites that show a full range of available vacation bookings or rental properties. 

N.W.T. leaders say Ottawa is underfunding Indigenous health-care program by millions

A federal program meant to improve access to care for Indigenous peoples has been costing the N.W.T. government millions of dollars because the federal government underfunds it, say some leaders in the territory.

Northerners want changes to programs across Inuit Nunangat – not just more federal money

Ottawa’s new investments in supporting Inuit children and families has eased some concerns about the future of those programs, but some northerners say they want to see more than just funding for stop-gap measures. 

City of Summerside outlines what it can do to help residents of mobile home parks

The City of Summerside is outlining what it can and can’t do to support people who rent land in mobile home parks in the municipality.

Students should be considered amidst Yukon U labour dispute, advocate says

One student leader at Yukon University says student voices are now finally being heard as an ongoing labour dispute between the university and the union representing its employees continues.

Carney government shifts advertising budget to more patriotic messaging

The federal government reallocated its advertising budget after Prime Minister Mark Carney's new cabinet was sworn in last year, recently disclosed figures show, shifting its priorities to patriotic and economic messages and purchasing pricey television airtime during major sporting events like the Super Bowl and Winter Olympics.

Montreal is mentioned in the Epstein files hundreds of times. Here’s what we know

Located just a short flight away from one of his vacation homes in New York City, Montreal was often on the late American sex offender Jeffrey Epstein’s radar.

Toronto wants to allow micro shelters — just not on city land

A year after Toronto staff sent a cease and desist to a man who built several tiny mobile homes for those experiencing homelessness, the city is moving closer to embracing micro shelters with its own potential pilot project.

London, Ont., Children's Aid workers demand wage increases and better support

More than 100 employees were picketing outside the Children's Aid Society of London and Middlesex (CASLM) office on Thursday, demanding wage increases and better supports on the job.

Another setback hits N.L.’s once touted wind-to-hydrogen industry

Newfoundland and Labrador's once highly touted wind-to-hydrogen industry was dealt another blow on Thursday.

N.S. government closing some museums, most visitor information centres

The Nova Scotia government is closing several museums and most of the provincially operated visitor information centres.

2nd N.B. youth put on peace bond for alleged terrorist activity

A youth has been issued a peace bond in connection with terrorism activity that in some cases led victims to self-harm, the RCMP said Thursday.

Former Winnipeg CAO says he felt like 'social enemy No. 1' after police HQ fallout, inquiry hears

Former Winnipeg chief administrative officer Phil Sheegl threw his fists up in the air and yelled "Yeah baby!" on Thursday as he finished two and a half days of testifying before the inquiry into the city’s troubled police headquarters project.

Riversdale warming centre operator endorses alternative site proposed by Saskatoon

The City of Saskatoon has proposed an alternative — and potentially more permanent — site for its warming centre in the Riversdale neighbourhood.

© 2008 - 2026 Webjosh  |  News Archive  |  Privacy Policy  |  Contact Us