
1 teen released, 1 still in custody in Saskatoon case of alleged online 'violent extremism'
CBC
One of the two Saskatoon teens charged after a national security investigation into alleged online violent extremism has been released from custody, while the second is still waiting for a bail decision.
The teens, who are both 14 years old, were in court on Tuesday for separate bail hearings. One was released that day, but the second had their case adjourned until Thursday for the judge's decision.
On Thursday morning, the case was adjourned again in order for Judge Lua Gibb to have more information before she makes her decision.
The identities of the teens are protected under the Youth Criminal Justice Act. The submissions made at their bail hearings are subject to publication bans that are standard at such hearings, to protect the accused's right to a fair trial.
Each faces one charge, that between Jan. 27 and Feb. 11 they "did by writing knowingly utter a threat to an unknown person(s) to cause death or bodily harm to an unknown person(s)."
The two teens were arrested on Feb. 11. They were held in custody for nearly a week as their case was adjourned in youth docket court, until their bail hearings were set for a special court sitting on Tuesday afternoon.
During the hearings, a small courtroom in Saskatoon provincial court was full of the teens' family members and other observers as court continued sitting late into the afternoon.
A charge of uttering threats is usually handled by provincial Crown prosecutors, but in this case a federal prosecutor, Kirsten Janis, was assigned to the case and presented the information police had gathered so far in the investigation.
The submissions are subject to the publication ban, but according to a police news release last week, the RCMP's national security unit and Saskatoon police started investigating after receiving "a report of an online account sharing content associated to violent extremism."
Aleida Oberholzer represents the teen who is still in custody. She noted there are strict publication bans because the accused is a young person, but said in an interview with CBC that it's important to remember the teen is presumed innocent and the allegations have not been tested yet in court.
"Young people are growing up in this online world today, full of violent and disturbing trends. They often don't fully appreciate, in my opinion, what they're posting online and what they're sharing, what they're consuming, could have some serious real-world consequences," Oberholzer said.
She said her focus as defence counsel is on safety and rehabilitation.
"The youth justice system here in Canada is designed to hold young people accountable, in a way that recognizes their age, their brain development and their capacity to change," Oberholzer said.
Defence lawyer Thomas Hynes represents the teen who was released from custody on Tuesday. That teen returns to court on March 24.

'Enough is enough': Canadian intelligence experts to focus on extortion crime, federal minister says
The federal finance minister visited Mississauga, Ont., Thursday to announce dedicated financial intelligence experts who will focus on extortion crime targeting Canadian businesses and households.












