
Northerners want changes to programs across Inuit Nunangat – not just more federal money
CBC
Ottawa’s new investments in supporting Inuit children and families has eased some concerns about the future of those programs, but some northerners say they want to see more than just funding for stop-gap measures.
On Thursday, Indigenous Services Canada Minister Mandy Gull-Masty revealed $229 million for tuberculosis, food security, and child and family support in Inuit communities – allocations notably absent from the fall 2025 federal budget.
The new funding includes $115 million to renew the Inuit Child First Initiative, which is a temporary measure to ensure Inuit children have timely access to essential support and services while an Inuit-specific framework is being developed.
But this announcement is yet another one-year extension to the program set up in 2018, and not the long-term funding model for Inuit children that Inuit leaders have been collaborating with the federal government.
In an interview with CBC North, Gull-Masty acknowledges this announcement is a stopgap arrangement while discussions continue about the long-term plan, though she’s remaining tight-lipped about what’s still to be worked out.
“I want to be extremely respectful of what Inuit communities, organizations and families are looking to achieve,” she said.
CBC North reached out to several Inuit organizations that are involved in the development of this program for comment. Inuit Tapiriit Kanatami, the national body representing Inuit in Canada, declined an interview request, and Nunavut Tunngavik Inc. didn’t respond.
Statistics Canada shows more than three-quarters of Inuit children in Inuit Nunangat experienced food insecurity in 2022.
In Nunavut, many families know the Inuit Child First Initiative by the distribution of monthly food vouchers, which were discontinued last year. At the time, Indigenous Services Canada said the initiative was structured to provide temporary relief, rather than to displace government income assistance through “universal” programs like food vouchers.
The government also ushered in other changes such as the need for families to submit individual applications and adhere to specific requirements.
Qupanuaq’s operations director Jeneca Fanjoy says the changes have made the program far more inaccessible. The non-profit organization helps people with their applications in the Qikiqtaaluk region of Nunavut.
“Many families used to see six month approvals or multi-year hamlet-wide programs. Now the majority of families are seeing one month approvals or denials,” she said.
Gull-Masty says she will be announcing changes to the program in the coming weeks in an attempt to remove barriers.
But Nunavut NDP MP Lori Idlout is disappointed those details weren’t already worked out.













