
FCC chair denies censoring Colbert interview, confirms probe into ABC’s ‘The View’
NY Post
The chair of the Federal Communications Commission on Wednesday denied the government had censored CBS Late Show host Stephen Colbert from airing an interview with a Democratic US Senate candidate and confirmed that the FCC is investigating ABC’s “The View.”
FCC Chair Brendan Carr said Colbert could have run his interview with Texas State Representative James Talarico, a Democrat running for the Senate, if the Late Show complied with equal time rules by airing interviews with competing Democrats or choosing not to air the interview in Texas. Talarico said President Trump’s FCC had tried to censor the interview and “banned” him from the broadcast.
The Republican-led FCC said last month that daytime and late-night TV talk shows are no longer considered “bona fide” news programs that are exempt from requirements to give equal air time to views of opposing candidates. For decades talk shows had been exempt from those rules.
Colbert posted his Talarico interview on YouTube, where the video had been viewed more than 6 million times as of Wednesday afternoon.
“There was no censorship here at all,” Carr said. “Every single broadcaster in this country has an obligation to be responsible for the programming that they choose to air, and they’re responsible whether it complies with FCC rules or not, and it doesn’t, and those individual broadcasters are also going to have a potential liability.”
Carr also confirmed that the FCC had opened an enforcement action into whether the ABC daytime talk show violated equal time rules after an earlier interview with Talarico.









