
US judge says wrongfully deported Kilmar Abrego Garcia can’t be re-detained
Al Jazeera
Judge states Trump administration has made ‘one empty threat after another’ to deport Salvadoran national to Africa.
A United States federal judge has ruled that the administration of US President Donald Trump cannot re-detain Kilmar Abrego Garcia, a Salvadoran national who was wrongfully deported last year and who the federal government has sought to deport again.
US District Judge Paula Xinis stated on Tuesday that a 90-day detention period had passed without the administration presenting a workable plan to deport Abrego Garcia, whose lawyers say he is being punished because his wrongful detention embarrassed the government.
Xinis said that the government “made one empty threat after another to remove him to countries in Africa with no real chance of success”.
“From this, the court easily concludes that there is no ‘good reason to believe’ removal is likely in the reasonably foreseeable future,” he added.













