
UN accuses paramilitary RSF of committing war crimes in Sudan’s el-Fasher
Al Jazeera
UN rights chief urges probe as new report details mass killings, sexual violence and targeted attacks against civilians.
The Sudanese paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF) carried out war crimes and a possible crime against humanity in its takeover of Sudan’s western city of el-Fasher last year, the United Nations human rights office has said.
In a report (PDF) released on Friday, the Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights said “there are reasonable grounds to believe” the RSF and allied armed groups committed acts amounting to war crimes.
Those acts include murder, intentional attacks against civilians, sexual violence such as rape, torture, and the use of starvation as a weapon of war, the report found.
“If committed as part of a widespread or systematic attack directed against any civilian population, these acts may also amount to a crime against humanity,” it said.
The RSF seized control of el-Fasher, the capital of North Darfur state, on October 26, 2025, after the withdrawal of the Sudanese Armed Forces (SAF), which have been fighting the paramilitary group for control of Sudan since April 2023.













