U.S. soldier in Japan charged with sexually assaulting teenage girl in Okinawa
CBSN
Tokyo — Japan's government is calling for stricter oversight of U.S. troops stationed in the country after a soldier was charged over the alleged sexual assault of a Japanese teenager in Okinawa. Prosecutors in the southern island region charged the U.S. soldier in March, top government spokesman Yoshimasa Hayashi told reporters on Tuesday.
Local media said the 25-year-old man had been accused of assault, adding that he knew the girl was under 16, the age of consent in Japan.
The government expressed "regret" to U.S. Ambassador Rahm Emanuel over the incident and called for stronger oversight of behavior by military personnel, Hayashi said.

The ice dance competition of the 2026 Winter Olympics may be over, but many fans can't stop talking about Madison Chock and Evan Bates' performance — or France's controversial win after the judges' scores left the Americans just 1.43 points shy of gold. Kiki Intarasuwan and The Associated Press contributed to this report. In:












