
Kenyan families demand return of loved ones recruited into Russian army
Al Jazeera
Official intelligence report revealed that more than 1,000 citizens had been lured to fight for Russia in Ukraine.
Families of Kenyans allegedly tricked into fighting for Russia in Ukraine are demanding their return as an official intelligence report revealed that more than 1,000 citizens had been lured onto the front line.
Dozens of families protested in Nairobi on Thursday to demand the government take action, one day after the country’s National Intelligence Service unveiled a report on the scam, which allegedly involved a network of rogue state officials colluding with trafficking syndicates to dupe locals.
Winnie Rose Wambui said she hoped to get information about her brother, Samuel Maina, who went to Russia believing he had a job as a security guard at a mall. She last heard from him in October when he sent a “distress voice note” from a forest, she told news agency AFP.
Parliament Majority Leader Kimani Ichung’wah presented the intelligence report to the Parliament of Kenya on Wednesday, saying that more than 1,000 Kenyans had been recruited “to fight in the Russia-Ukraine war”, with 89 currently on the front line, 39 hospitalised and 28 missing in action.
The families plan to present petitions to several government offices, including the Foreign Ministry, and to the Russian embassy, according to their coordinator Peter Kamau, whose brother, Gerald Gitau, is missing.













