Primary Country (Mandatory)

Other Country (Optional)

Set News Language for United States

Primary Language (Mandatory)
Other Language[s] (Optional)
No other language available

Set News Language for World

Primary Language (Mandatory)
Other Language(s) (Optional)

Set News Source for United States

Primary Source (Mandatory)
Other Source[s] (Optional)

Set News Source for World

Primary Source (Mandatory)
Other Source(s) (Optional)
  • Countries
    • India
    • United States
    • Qatar
    • Germany
    • China
    • Canada
    • World
  • Categories
    • National
    • International
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Sports
    • Special
    • All Categories
  • Available Languages for United States
    • English
  • All Languages
    • English
    • Hindi
    • Arabic
    • German
    • Chinese
    • French
  • Sources
    • India
      • AajTak
      • NDTV India
      • The Hindu
      • India Today
      • Zee News
      • NDTV
      • BBC
      • The Wire
      • News18
      • News 24
      • The Quint
      • ABP News
      • Zee News
      • News 24
    • United States
      • CNN
      • Fox News
      • Al Jazeera
      • CBSN
      • NY Post
      • Voice of America
      • The New York Times
      • HuffPost
      • ABC News
      • Newsy
    • Qatar
      • Al Jazeera
      • Al Arab
      • The Peninsula
      • Gulf Times
      • Al Sharq
      • Qatar Tribune
      • Al Raya
      • Lusail
    • Germany
      • DW
      • ZDF
      • ProSieben
      • RTL
      • n-tv
      • Die Welt
      • Süddeutsche Zeitung
      • Frankfurter Rundschau
    • China
      • China Daily
      • BBC
      • The New York Times
      • Voice of America
      • Beijing Daily
      • The Epoch Times
      • Ta Kung Pao
      • Xinmin Evening News
    • Canada
      • CBC
      • Radio-Canada
      • CTV
      • TVA Nouvelles
      • Le Journal de Montréal
      • Global News
      • BNN Bloomberg
      • Métro
Family member 'incredibly emotional' after grave of Canadian WW I soldier identified

Family member 'incredibly emotional' after grave of Canadian WW I soldier identified

CBC
Thursday, July 20, 2023 11:08:11 AM UTC

The family of a soldier who joined the Canadian Army in Calgary and served in the First World War say it's difficult to explain how important it is to learn that his grave has finally been identified.

"It was just incredibly emotional," said Stuart Neilson, who works as a police officer in Scotland.

"He's laid there for 106 years. I can't get my head around that. His mom and dad are my great-grandparents. And I just wish they knew that we'd taken the time [to find him]."

Sgt. Arthur Melvin is Neilson's great-great uncle. Neilson, along with his aunt, has been researching Melvin's life for many years. 

But he never knew the full story until now. Though the family dove deep into its history and conducted its own research, Neilson said it was just a "tiny part" compared to the "phenomenal" efforts of a team within the Canadian Department of National Defence.

On Tuesday, the Department of National Defence and the Canadian Armed Forces announced that the grave of a Canadian soldier of the First World War had been identified. Melvin's grave was confirmed to be in Bois-Carré British Cemetery, in Thélus, France.

The process of identifying grave cases involves researching historical documentation to assign names to unidentified individuals, without additional help from remains.

After checking archives and scouring documents, researchers submit a report to the Casualty Identification Review Board, which must vote unanimously in order to accept the identification.

"The challenge that we had with this particular one was the location, simply because [Melvin] was ultimately part of the Battle of Arras [in spring of 1917]. It's a very huge Canadian offensive," said Renée Davis, a historian of military heritage at the Directorate of History and Heritage.

"He's in an area where there is a tremendous amount of fighting, and the village where he ultimately lost his life was overrun."

The Battle of Vimy Ridge, which was a part of the Battle of Arras, saw many Canadian casualties, and therefore many missing Canadian soldiers.

But Davis said partial identifiers on his headstone in Bois-Carré British Cemetery indicated he was an unknown sergeant of the 31st Battalion, with a date of death of April 9, 1917. Melvin was the only sergeant from that battalion missing on that date with no known grave.

All the archival documentation, including personnel files, casualty cards, war diaries and other documents, pointed to it being him in the grave, and could not be anyone else, Davis said.

"The documentation showed that Sgt. Melvin had been hit by a shell during the battle in the village of Thélus and was buried as one of the original graves at the cemetery in the aftermath of the assault," she said in an email. 

Read full story on CBC
Share this story on:-
More Related News
New Democrats vying for party's top job square off in final leadership debate

Five NDP leadership candidates are set to take the stage in what will be the final debate before members decide who will land the party's top job.

Lab services on the move again, this time to Primary Care Alberta

Alberta's lab services are facing yet another move as the provincial government forges ahead with its health system restructuring process.

4 extortion investigations launched in Vancouver — the first in the city

B.C.’s most populous city is now part of a growing trend of crime where perpetrators threaten residents and businesses with violence in exchange for money.

Stratford looks to revive business group to support owners in the growing town

As Stratford continues to grow, some say it's time for the P.E.I. town to revive a group that supports local business owners. 

New online portal lets families search assisted living vacancies in Alberta

The Alberta government launched a new online portal for families to see vacant assisted living spots in their community, something Premier Danielle Smith compared to websites that show a full range of available vacation bookings or rental properties. 

N.W.T. leaders say Ottawa is underfunding Indigenous health-care program by millions

A federal program meant to improve access to care for Indigenous peoples has been costing the N.W.T. government millions of dollars because the federal government underfunds it, say some leaders in the territory.

'Enough is enough': Canadian intelligence experts to focus on extortion crime, federal minister says

The federal finance minister visited Mississauga, Ont., Thursday to announce dedicated financial intelligence experts who will focus on extortion crime targeting Canadian businesses and households.

Independent review says dog testing at London, Ont. hospital done ethically, but flags communication gaps

A third-party review of the use of dogs in medical research at London's Lawson Research Institute found that the testing, which induced heart attacks in the dogs, complied with all "regulatory, ethical and professional standards."

Recovery Alberta set to slash hours Safeworks Connect team operates in Calgary

A Calgary-based outreach team that's trained to respond to overdoses in the city's inner-city Beltline neighbourhood, will see its hours slashed by Recovery Alberta so it will no longer operate overnight.

Northeast B.C. is ‘one big family’ supporting Tumbler Ridge, says district chair

What happens in one community in northeast B.C. is always felt by all, says Peace River Regional District chair Brad Sperling.

Schools closed in metro region as storm cleanup continues

School is out again on the northeast Avalon, as the region continues to dig out from this winter’s biggest storm.

Wikwemikong Tribal Police reduce charges against youth, focus on drug dealers, violent offenders in 2025

Wikwemikong Tribal Police Servce (WTPS) said a drop in the number of charges against teens last year, particularly boys, is an encouraging sign that early intervention programs are working.

Couple living on small pension told they don't qualify for grant to help son move home

Christian Herridge’s life has not been easy. 

Another setback hits N.L.’s once touted wind-to-hydrogen industry

Newfoundland and Labrador's once highly touted wind-to-hydrogen industry was dealt another blow on Thursday.

N.S. government closing some museums, most visitor information centres

The Nova Scotia government is closing several museums and most of the provincially operated visitor information centres.

2nd N.B. youth put on peace bond for alleged terrorist activity

A youth has been issued a peace bond in connection with terrorism activity that in some cases led victims to self-harm, the RCMP said Thursday.

Former Winnipeg CAO says he felt like 'social enemy No. 1' after police HQ fallout, inquiry hears

Former Winnipeg chief administrative officer Phil Sheegl threw his fists up in the air and yelled "Yeah baby!" on Thursday as he finished two and a half days of testifying before the inquiry into the city’s troubled police headquarters project.

Riversdale warming centre operator endorses alternative site proposed by Saskatoon

The City of Saskatoon has proposed an alternative — and potentially more permanent — site for its warming centre in the Riversdale neighbourhood.

1 teen released, 1 still in custody in Saskatoon case of alleged online 'violent extremism'

One of the two Saskatoon teens charged after a national security investigation into alleged online violent extremism has been released from custody, while the second is still waiting for a bail decision.

Former B.C. school trustee ordered to pay $750K for hate speech, discrimination: human rights tribunal

The B.C. Human Rights Tribunal has ordered former Chilliwack school trustee Barry Neufeld to pay $750,000 for violating the Human Rights Code by publishing hate speech and discriminatory content against 2SLGBTQ+ people.

York police Chief Jim MacSween to retire in June, police service board says

York Regional Police Chief Jim MacSween will retire in June, the board that oversees the service announced on Thursday.

Cabinet minister's proposed licence exemption 'troubling,' says P.E.I. Fishermen's Association

The P.E.I. Fisherman’s Association is pushing back against the provincial government’s attempts to grant a sitting cabinet minister the ability to maintain his lobster fleet.

Alberta Premier Danielle Smith announces fall referendum on immigration, constitutional questions

Premier Danielle Smith wants to hold a referendum in October on measures to limit immigration to Alberta and changes she believes would give the province more rights under the Constitution.

Toronto community leader Dr. Joseph Wong receives key to the city for 'lifetime of service'

Mayor Olivia Chow gave a key to the city on Thursday to a Toronto doctor, community leader and long-time seniors' advocate.

Territory's rent to be capped for final time this year, says Yukon Party

Yukon's government has set the rent cap — for the last time. 

© 2008 - 2026 Webjosh  |  News Archive  |  Privacy Policy  |  Contact Us