Families of Gabby Petito and Brian Laundrie reach $3 million settlement in wrongful death lawsuit
CBSN
The families of Gabby Petito and Brian Laundrie have reached a $3 million settlement in a wrongful death lawsuit filed after authorities concluded he strangled her during a cross-country trip in August 2021.
The settlement was signed Thursday by Sarasota County Circuit Judge Hunter W. Carroll. A lawyer for Petito's parents said whatever money is received will go to the Gabby Petito Foundation dedicated to locating missing people and curbing domestic violence.
"The Petito family lost their daughter and they were also denied the opportunity to confront her killer," said attorney Patrick Reilly in an email. "No amount of money is sufficient to compensate the Petito family for the loss of their daughter, Gabby, at the hands of Brian Laundrie."

The two rounds of indirect talks between the U.S. and Iran have produced unique proposals addressing Iran's nuclear program — its enrichment capabilities and supply of highly enriched uranium — and how to make a deal that's economically beneficial to both countries, diplomatic sources tell CBS News.

Truckee, California — Survivors tried to unbury their friends when an avalanche struck a group of backcountry skiers near Lake Tahoe in Northern California earlier this week, according to new harrowing details from a local sheriff's official. The avalanche, the deadliest in California history, killed at least eight people and left a ninth person missing. In:

Washington — Abigail Shry's verbal threats against public officials have been racist, violent and detailed. Her targets have included a federal judge in Washington, a Democrat in the House and the Texas Capitol. She allegedly once said she would "annihilate" the Texas government in an "armed attack" that would be more violent than the Jan. 6 insurrection.










