Primary Country (Mandatory)

Other Country (Optional)

Set News Language for United States

Primary Language (Mandatory)
Other Language[s] (Optional)
No other language available

Set News Language for World

Primary Language (Mandatory)
Other Language(s) (Optional)

Set News Source for United States

Primary Source (Mandatory)
Other Source[s] (Optional)

Set News Source for World

Primary Source (Mandatory)
Other Source(s) (Optional)
  • Countries
    • India
    • United States
    • Qatar
    • Germany
    • China
    • Canada
    • World
  • Categories
    • National
    • International
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Sports
    • Special
    • All Categories
  • Available Languages for United States
    • English
  • All Languages
    • English
    • Hindi
    • Arabic
    • German
    • Chinese
    • French
  • Sources
    • India
      • AajTak
      • NDTV India
      • The Hindu
      • India Today
      • Zee News
      • NDTV
      • BBC
      • The Wire
      • News18
      • News 24
      • The Quint
      • ABP News
      • Zee News
      • News 24
    • United States
      • CNN
      • Fox News
      • Al Jazeera
      • CBSN
      • NY Post
      • Voice of America
      • The New York Times
      • HuffPost
      • ABC News
      • Newsy
    • Qatar
      • Al Jazeera
      • Al Arab
      • The Peninsula
      • Gulf Times
      • Al Sharq
      • Qatar Tribune
      • Al Raya
      • Lusail
    • Germany
      • DW
      • ZDF
      • ProSieben
      • RTL
      • n-tv
      • Die Welt
      • Süddeutsche Zeitung
      • Frankfurter Rundschau
    • China
      • China Daily
      • BBC
      • The New York Times
      • Voice of America
      • Beijing Daily
      • The Epoch Times
      • Ta Kung Pao
      • Xinmin Evening News
    • Canada
      • CBC
      • Radio-Canada
      • CTV
      • TVA Nouvelles
      • Le Journal de Montréal
      • Global News
      • BNN Bloomberg
      • Métro
Carifiesta Montreal festival, parade in limbo after city denies funding

Carifiesta Montreal festival, parade in limbo after city denies funding

CBC
Tuesday, May 09, 2023 07:03:55 AM UTC

The organizers of Montreal's annual Carifiesta parade say the event might not happen this summer after the city of Montreal denied its regular funding. 

In a letter sent to Carifiesta last week, the city said it had reviewed its grant application in the context of Montreal's updated funding program for festivals and cultural events — one that allows it "to better represent the Montreal festival ecosystem."

"Given the quality of the applications received, the evaluation committee had to make choices and select projects that most closely align with program objectives. Unfortunately, your project was not selected by the committee," reads the letter signed by the cultural service department director, Kevin Donnelly.

In an email to CBC Monday, the city said it denied Carifiesta's application because of issues related to its grant submission. It said it made multiple attempts to contact the organizer to no avail. 

Everiste Blaize, president of the Caribbean Cultural Festivities Association that puts on the festival, however, said he was taken aback by the decision and said he hasn't heard from the city since he submitted his application for funding in January. 

He said the letter he received reads as though his festival simply didn't meet the city's new cultural criteria. 

"I would like for somebody to explain why my culture, or the culture of Carifiesta, is not culture enough to fit in," he said. 

"It'd be interesting to see what an ecosystem looks like when we're not part of it." 

Historically, the city has provided about $30,000 to parade organizers every year. The parade, which celebrates Caribbean culture and history, has been running since 1974, although it was cancelled in 2010 due to a conflict between two competing organizing committees. It was also off for two years during the pandemic.

The city said it updated its funding program for festivals and cultural events in 2022 to be able to sustainably support more events and to improve the financing criteria to better govern public funds.

It said Blaize was advised of the changes and that the city contacted him several times offering to help with his submission but never received a response.

"The Carifiesta project as presented was not deemed viable in 2023," it said, adding there were also issues from last year's edition of the festival that have not been addressed. 

The city said it will be meeting with the organizers this week to discuss the issues related to the application they submitted and to "explore possible solutions."

Blaize said he's waiting for the city to reach out to him, but in the meantime, he's looking at other solutions. 

Read full story on CBC
Share this story on:-
More Related News
Independent review says dog testing at London, Ont. hospital done ethically, but flags communication gaps

A third-party review of the use of dogs in medical research at London's Lawson Research Institute found that the testing, which induced heart attacks in the dogs, complied with all "regulatory, ethical and professional standards."

Recovery Alberta set to slash hours Safeworks Connect team operates in Calgary

A Calgary-based outreach team that's trained to respond to overdoses in the city's inner-city Beltline neighbourhood, will see its hours slashed by Recovery Alberta so it will no longer operate overnight.

Northeast B.C. is ‘one big family’ supporting Tumbler Ridge, says district chair

What happens in one community in northeast B.C. is always felt by all, says Peace River Regional District chair Brad Sperling.

Schools closed in metro region as storm cleanup continues

School is out again on the northeast Avalon, as the region continues to dig out from this winter’s biggest storm.

Wikwemikong Tribal Police reduce charges against youth, focus on drug dealers, violent offenders in 2025

Wikwemikong Tribal Police Servce (WTPS) said a drop in the number of charges against teens last year, particularly boys, is an encouraging sign that early intervention programs are working.

Couple living on small pension told they don't qualify for grant to help son move home

Christian Herridge’s life has not been easy. 

How McAdam plans to become a railway hub again

Ken Stannix saw a community in economic decline when he retired from a career in the military and moved home to McAdam in 2012.

Non-binary client wins discrimination case against Montreal-area hair salon

When Alexe Frédéric Migneault suddenly began experiencing hair loss, they thought a haircut would be just the thing to help them feel confident again.

Métis Nation–Saskatchewan's mental health support program to close after federal funding lost

Members of the Métis Nation—Saskatchewan (MN-S) who had come to rely on a mental health and addictions support program say the organization should have done more to prepare for the end of federal funding that will force it to close next month.

Voluntary race and ethnicity question to be added to P.E.I. health card application

Islanders applying for or renewing their Prince Edward Island health card after April 1 will see a new optional question about their race or ethnicity.

Lack of snow in B.C.'s Interior forces outdoor industries to pivot

This winter's lack of snow and mild conditions have impacted the economics of the skiing and biking industry in B.C.'s Interior.

In this city-run seniors' building, Hamilton residents say needles, urine, feces are only steps away

When Rose Hamilton stepped into the stairwell of her apartment building one evening in January, it wasn’t the first time she says she encountered a puddle of urine and feces.

Democrats target bridge owner Moroun in expanding probe of Trump's threats

Democrats in Washington are expanding their probe into the circumstances around U.S. President Donald Trump's recent threat to block the opening of the new Gordie Howe bridge connecting Windsor, Ont., and Detroit.

York police Chief Jim MacSween to retire in June, police service board says

York Regional Police Chief Jim MacSween will retire in June, the board that oversees the service announced on Thursday.

Cabinet minister's proposed licence exemption 'troubling,' says P.E.I. Fishermen's Association

The P.E.I. Fisherman’s Association is pushing back against the provincial government’s attempts to grant a sitting cabinet minister the ability to maintain his lobster fleet.

Alberta Premier Danielle Smith announces fall referendum on immigration, constitutional questions

Premier Danielle Smith wants to hold a referendum in October on measures to limit immigration to Alberta and changes she believes would give the province more rights under the Constitution.

Toronto community leader Dr. Joseph Wong receives key to the city for 'lifetime of service'

Mayor Olivia Chow gave a key to the city on Thursday to a Toronto doctor, community leader and long-time seniors' advocate.

Territory's rent to be capped for final time this year, says Yukon Party

Yukon's government has set the rent cap — for the last time. 

New Democrats vying for party's top job square off in final leadership debate

Five NDP leadership candidates are set to take the stage in what will be the final debate before members decide who will land the party's top job.

Lab services on the move again, this time to Primary Care Alberta

Alberta's lab services are facing yet another move as the provincial government forges ahead with its health system restructuring process.

4 extortion investigations launched in Vancouver — the first in the city

B.C.’s most populous city is now part of a growing trend of crime where perpetrators threaten residents and businesses with violence in exchange for money.

Stratford looks to revive business group to support owners in the growing town

As Stratford continues to grow, some say it's time for the P.E.I. town to revive a group that supports local business owners. 

New online portal lets families search assisted living vacancies in Alberta

The Alberta government launched a new online portal for families to see vacant assisted living spots in their community, something Premier Danielle Smith compared to websites that show a full range of available vacation bookings or rental properties. 

N.W.T. leaders say Ottawa is underfunding Indigenous health-care program by millions

A federal program meant to improve access to care for Indigenous peoples has been costing the N.W.T. government millions of dollars because the federal government underfunds it, say some leaders in the territory.

'Enough is enough': Canadian intelligence experts to focus on extortion crime, federal minister says

The federal finance minister visited Mississauga, Ont., Thursday to announce dedicated financial intelligence experts who will focus on extortion crime targeting Canadian businesses and households.

© 2008 - 2026 Webjosh  |  News Archive  |  Privacy Policy  |  Contact Us