Primary Country (Mandatory)

Other Country (Optional)

Set News Language for United States

Primary Language (Mandatory)
Other Language[s] (Optional)
No other language available

Set News Language for World

Primary Language (Mandatory)
Other Language(s) (Optional)

Set News Source for United States

Primary Source (Mandatory)
Other Source[s] (Optional)

Set News Source for World

Primary Source (Mandatory)
Other Source(s) (Optional)
  • Countries
    • India
    • United States
    • Qatar
    • Germany
    • China
    • Canada
    • World
  • Categories
    • National
    • International
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Sports
    • Special
    • All Categories
  • Available Languages for United States
    • English
  • All Languages
    • English
    • Hindi
    • Arabic
    • German
    • Chinese
    • French
  • Sources
    • India
      • AajTak
      • NDTV India
      • The Hindu
      • India Today
      • Zee News
      • NDTV
      • BBC
      • The Wire
      • News18
      • News 24
      • The Quint
      • ABP News
      • Zee News
      • News 24
    • United States
      • CNN
      • Fox News
      • Al Jazeera
      • CBSN
      • NY Post
      • Voice of America
      • The New York Times
      • HuffPost
      • ABC News
      • Newsy
    • Qatar
      • Al Jazeera
      • Al Arab
      • The Peninsula
      • Gulf Times
      • Al Sharq
      • Qatar Tribune
      • Al Raya
      • Lusail
    • Germany
      • DW
      • ZDF
      • ProSieben
      • RTL
      • n-tv
      • Die Welt
      • Süddeutsche Zeitung
      • Frankfurter Rundschau
    • China
      • China Daily
      • BBC
      • The New York Times
      • Voice of America
      • Beijing Daily
      • The Epoch Times
      • Ta Kung Pao
      • Xinmin Evening News
    • Canada
      • CBC
      • Radio-Canada
      • CTV
      • TVA Nouvelles
      • Le Journal de Montréal
      • Global News
      • BNN Bloomberg
      • Métro
As Hockey Canada re-opens alleged sex assault probe, here’s what 2018 players say so far

As Hockey Canada re-opens alleged sex assault probe, here’s what 2018 players say so far

Global News
Saturday, July 16, 2022 10:13:47 AM UTC

Hockey Canada remains under intense scrutiny for its response to a 2018 allegation of sexual assault against some World Junior championship team players.

As Hockey Canada remains under intense scrutiny over its handling of a lawsuit alleging a sexual assault involving players from the 2018 national junior team, the organization is reopening its investigation and some of the players have been speaking out.

Facing a flight of sponsorship dollars over recent weeks, the organization announced in an open letter to Canadians on Thursday morning that it is reopening the investigation into the alleged sexual assault and it will be mandatory for all players on that team to participate.

Senior leaders told the House of Commons Standing Committee on Canadian Heritage last month that players were “encouraged” but not required to cooperate with the initial probe into the matter.

“We know we have not done enough to address the actions of some members of the 2018 national junior team or to end the culture of toxic behaviour within our game,” Hockey Canada wrote in its letter Thursday. “For that we unreservedly apologize.

“We know we need to do more to address the behaviours, on and off the ice, that conflict with what Canadians want hockey to be, and which undermine the many good things that the game brings to our country.”

Hockey Canada officials have said neither the original and later abandoned probe, nor inquiries by police in London, Ont., were able to identify the alleged perpetrators. Robert Talach, lawyer for the complainant, told Global News on Thursday his client is participating in the reopened probe.

One player from the 2018 World Juniors team, Victor Mete, recently took to Twitter to call the allegations “appalling,” adding he was not involved. Since the eight alleged perpetrators haven’t been identified, he wrote, “the incident has left an unfortunate cloud over every player who was on the Canadian team.”

The allegations in the lawsuit have not been tested in court. Neither have criminal charges been laid.

Read full story on Global News
Share this story on:-
More Related News
Promised replacement of aging long-term care home in Kelowna put on hold indefinitely

The news comes a year and half after former health minister Adrian Dix announced the much-needed replacement, saying then it was long overdue.

Democrats probe Trump donor’s ‘influence’ over Gordie Howe bridge threat

Democrats are demanding Ambassador Bridge owner Matthew Moroun provide documentation of a reported meeting held with U.S. Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick before Trump's threat.

Provinces are bracing for record deficits. What’s causing budgets to see red?

From trade tensions to a shrinking workforce and existing inflation, several factors are leading to provinces posting sometimes record-breaking budgets.

Canada’s EV rebate is here. How do charging costs compare with gas?

The newly launched consumer rebates for electric vehicles aim to help make the purchase more affordable — but how does the cost of powering one compare with a gas vehicle?

B.C. First Nation says there may never be ‘full consensus’ on potential burial site

The Kamloops institution operated between 1890 and 1969, when Ottawa took control from the Catholic Church and ran it as a day school until it closed in 1978.

Canada opens new residency paths for military recruits, other workers

The first category that’s being added is for researchers and senior managers with Canadian work experience to help drive research in Canada.

Quebec father who drowned his children tells jury he has no memory of killings

A Quebec man who drowned his two children in October 2022, told a jury he has no memory of the day they died, as he testified in his own defence in Laval, Quebec.

Ontario Line opening date uncertain, construction to be finished in ‘early 2030s’

The Ford government has broken ground on four stations and an elevated guideway for its signature Ontario Line subway, which could be finished sometime in the early 2030s.

Dog kicked in ‘disturbing’ video removed from owner’s care: Sudbury police

A small black dog that was kicked in a 'disturbing and upsetting' viral video has been removed from the owner’s care, Sudbury police say.

Ex-Conservative MP Matt Jeneroux crosses floor to join Carney’s Liberals

“I am honoured to welcome Matt Jeneroux to our caucus as the newest member of Canada’s new government,” Carney said in a social media post.

Tough sell for B.C. budget featuring tax hike, record deficit and construction delays

It raises the base income tax rate by 0.54 per cent — the first increase in 26 years — while the deficit is predicted to soar to a record $13.3 billion next fiscal year.

Carney returns to B.C. for Lunar New Year one week after mass shooting

While in B.C., the prime minister will attend a Liberal Party fundraiser at a private residence in Vancouver, with tickets costing $1,775. 

Cap on international students leading to drop in Ontario transit ridership

Brampton, Mississauga and parts of Waterloo Region were among the suburbs where people flocked back to the bus, leading to overcrowding and setting records. 

Danielle Smith promises Alberta referendum over immigration, Constitution changes

Premier Danielle Smith said the immigration changes her UCP government has determined Alberta needs to push for are a significant departure from the status quo.

Canadian men’s hockey gold medal up for auction

It's not McDavid, or Gretzky, or Crosby - but an Olympic gold medal from one of our country's best hockey players back in 1952 is up for grabs in an Olympic auction.

Canadian Tire says Triangle Rewards are its ‘linchpin’ for growth

Canadian Tire is touting the success of its loyalty programs and partnerships for its blowout earnings results as value-conscious consumers look to maximize savings.

More than 1 in 4 patients leaving Winnipeg ERs without being seen: study

Updated figures show high numbers of Winnipeg patients leaving emergency departments without being seen, as hospitals continue to report long wait times.

Pressure mounts on Quebec justice minister to backtrack on enshrining abortion rights

Pressure is mounting on Quebec's justice minister to abandon plans to enshrine abortion rights in the province's proposed constitution.

Team Canada hockey showdowns in numbers: A look back at milestone moments

Canada has a chance to make history with another gold medal game, while the men have their eyes on making it to another gold medal game on Sunday, potentially meeting the U.S.

Most Atlantic provinces recorded first population decline in years at the end of 2025

Atlantic Canada’s population boom has ended, with each of the four provinces losing residents at the end of 2025.  

No evidence of ‘secrecy’ over dog testing at London, Ont. hospital: report

A review into controversial dog testing at a London, Ont., hospital that irked Premier Doug Ford found it was ethical with no evidence of 'secrecy.'

‘Record high’: Calls to human trafficking hotline in Canada surge

Calls to the Canadian Human Trafficking Hotline hit more than 5,900 calls nationwide in 2025, a 14 per cent increase from 5,100 calls in 2024, the organization said.

Alberta startup launches AI ‘lawyer’ for personal injury claims

Inspired by his 2019 crash, Painworth co-founder Mike Zouhri says the company aims to make injury claims more affordable and accessible.

LeBlanc says he’ll meet with Trump’s trade rep to talk about CUSMA review

LeBlanc said Ottawa and their Mexican counterparts are in agreement that a North American deal involving all three countries is the best way forward.

Quebec hair salon ordered to pay $500 to non-binary client

A recent ruling from the Quebec human rights tribunal has put Station10 hair salon at the centre of a larger legal battle and social debate.

© 2008 - 2026 Webjosh  |  News Archive  |  Privacy Policy  |  Contact Us